Thursday 2 August 2007

Sarcasm

Say what you will about sarcasm I like it. It can be taken in jest and offensively and sometimes it does not get taken anything as it totally passes by the person it was aimed at. On the odd occasion though my sarcastic cloak or protection, the one I wear to not look vulnerable and breakable, causes people to try and push me further than I can actually deal with. I may look like someone who does not give a toss and who is able to cope with all thrown at her, but you know what, I am not. I am soft and squishy and I get scared and freeze and then something odd happens. It all goes slow. Part of me wants to be violent and bash your face in and crush your nose until it is flat against your face and they other part of me just wants to calm everything down so as not to create a scene. So if I ever ask for something to be done please do it. I do not lead life to make mine and all around me lead a difficult one, hell I crave the easy life. If my request means that you and yours will be kept safe and un harmed then please just do it. Do not get angry and rude and start pushing me around as yes I have no doubt you will get grabbed by someone else as hitting someone who has not been threatening is not wise, neither is being a man and hitting a woman in an office that deals with laborers. You are asking for trouble. Yelling at my rescuer 'you are not in South Africa now' is not only rude, racist and childish but its also hurtful and spiteful. Everyday I see more and more evidence of 'Napoleon Syndrome' and it was no more apparent today in the short black man who attacked me. Next time I will leave his wife in the un safe area with their 5 series BMW and pray to Heacte' that it get damaged. Hopefully that way I will keep my skin where it should be and will not be waiting for bruises to appear to show why my arm hurts and I also will not need a hero who gets history thrown in his face. People.

1 comment:

Susan Ham said...

I have a friend who is so accustomed to abuse of every kind, she misses the subtleties of my sarcasm. I have taught her how to 'see it coming,' most of the time, and she does not take offence. She realises I am not trying to offend her, just gently send her up.